Monday, May 5, 2014

Avochie Dream.....  Last year I was paid a visit from a couple from Aberdeen Scotland, Donald and Lorraine Kamsley.   Don and I talked the evening away around the art of fly fishing and my custom fly rods of which he took a liking to.  Don and his wife were introduced to us by George and Jimi Wilson, friends of ours here at Lake Wenatchee.  Don and I kept in touch after he returned to Scotland and he asked if I would build him a rod and I was excited to build one that could be used in Scotland.  What he was looking for was a 7 wt. Sage Xi3 that he could use in the rivers there to fish Salmon.  He also wanted a Alp's cobalt "electric" blue triangle reel seat and blue insert guide eyes, chrome snake eyes, and matching thread wrap.  He was also looking for one of the custom handles that I build but with something new a removable fighting butt that allowed the rod to be changed from a single hand to a double handed switch rod.  After some research I pulled all of the components together and got this rod going.  Here are some of the early pictures:

loose cork in design, reel seat, shim and adapter for fighting butt


Everything glued together
With everything glued together the work of wrapping eyes with matching cobalt blue thread, and two metallic bands started.  The rod turned out great and was shipped to Don a few weeks back.  He was getting ready for some June fishing  for salmon and I know that this rod will work well because I have built a few in the past and they are excellent big fish rods.  Don Matched the rod up with a Sage 7060 azure blue reel....
 
Here are some pictures of the finished product!!!
Avochie Dream, two butts, blue rings in cork, comfort grip

Avochie Dream, named after one of Don's favorite area's to fish in Scotland

A bit of Feather work embedded in the epoxy...  grizzly hackle, blue Amherst pheasant, and jungle cock...

Ready for action and Don to catch many salmon on.... 
 
 


There are several rivers in Scotland that Don fishes on, the river Dee, Deveron, and the river Don to name a few.  Here are some great shots of the kind of waters this rod will find itself fishing...

Junction Pool River
Table Rock Pool
 
Upper Table Rock Pool
Could be a bunch of my fishing buddies!!!!  behind them is the lower junction pool
River Dee, Dinnet Beat....  that's a long rod!!!  and a nice fish on the shore!!!
River Dee!!!  beautiful color in that fish!!!
 
Don and I have talked about going over to fish with him in Scotland and it just was not in the cards this year but maybe in the future I can make it happen.  It looks like I would have an amazing time and the waters look beautiful and what a bucket list place to go to!!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment